The first restaurant at Hasselbacken was called Dunderhyttan, which opened in the mid-1700s. Back then, it was an establishment with five tables and some twenty chairs.
It wasn’t until the 1760s, that the name “Hasselbacken” was coined, becoming well known in Stockholm’s restaurant circles.
In 1816, a half-timbered building was built in the finest Gustavian style, which over the years became known as “Gubbhyllan” (literally Old Man’s shelf). It’s glory days began when the well-known confectioner Jacob Wilhelm Davidson opened the doors of “Restaurant Hasselbacken”. The year 1853 was the start of a golden era for the restaurant thanks to good food, Swedish punch songs and singing.
Speaking of singing, on August 16, 1872, a Bellman statue was erected in the garden and can still be seen today. Alfred Nyström was the name of the sculptor and August Strindberg was his model. That same year, a ferocious fire, lasting eight days, burned the entire building to the ground. Just two years later, a new building rose from the ashes and quickly became the preferred choice of venue for locals of all classes – nobility as well as ordinary people.
In 1984, extensive restoration and renovation began. On the back of the restaurant, a new hotel building was built and in 1992 Scandic Hasselbacken opened a hotel, conference and restaurant on site.
Hasselbacken is a cashless venue. It’s safer and more efficient for our visitors and for our staff. You’re welcome to pay with credit card, We accept most credit cards, including VISA, MasterCard and American Express